Blog post titles are often an afterthought. You spent time researching keywords. You spent time researching your topic. You spent time writing your post. Now, you’re ready to press Publish and move on to the next task. It’s easy to just throw something in there and move on. Sure your regular readers will have an idea of the type of content you provide for them to click through, but that may be the lifespan of your post if you don’t spend a few extra seconds crafting a good headline. Use these tips to write post titles that will get readers clicking long after today.
It’s a numbers game. People love numbered lists. Maybe they just want to double check that you kept your promise of six tips. Whatever it is, it works.
- Example: 6 tips to beat insomnia
Remember the 5 W’s (and that poor H). She tries to start her titles with Who, What, When, Where, Why or How. You can ask a question or just make a statement. Either way, you will most likely see an increase in your click-through rate. Make sure you are answering the question.
- Example: Why you need to change your hosting company now
use adjectives. Words like best, worst, superior, and incredible intrigue us.
- Example: Top 5 Summer Vacation Spots
The length of the title should not be too long or too short, just the right one. Give your readers an introduction. If your title is “Hostgator”, I’m going to be a little confused as to what’s next. Are you sending me to the Hostgator site? Are you reviewing the Hostgator service? Is there any important news that I should know? Let me know highlight where I’m going and what to expect. This is especially the case on Twitter, where previews are not available.
- Before: Hostgator
- After: Top 10 Reasons to Make Hostgator Your Host
When all else fails, use a template. Just fill in the blanks of a proven formula, and you’ll be well on your way to a better blog post title.
- Example: Amazing [items] Low [low cost]
We’ve become a bit reliant on post previews and our personal connections carry the weight of the titles. However, they are not always available. Putting a little extra effort into the title of your new blog posts can greatly increase your click-through rate and keep those posts active for the long haul.
Here are blogging ideas to clear writer’s block and give you some inspiration for your new blog posts!
Fun Blog Post Ideas
- 20 fun ideas for your next blog post
- The 10 Funniest Blog Posts of All Time
- A collection of hilarious cat memes to inspire your next blog post
- How to Have More Fun in Life: A Guide for Creative Writers
- 50 ideas for new and exciting blog posts
- How to turn boring topics into interesting blog posts
- 20 ways to get more traffic to your blog
- How to optimize your blog posts for SEO
- The pros and cons of starting a blog
- What makes a good blogging platform?
- Tips for choosing the right domain name for your blog
- How to create a successful blogging program
- How to write compelling blog posts that engage readers
- Top 10 Mistakes New Bloggers Make
- How to Market Your Blog Locally and Globally
- Why Guest Posting Is Important For Bloggers
- How to increase engagement on your blog
- 10 ways to earn money with your blog
- How to create a professional looking blog
- What are the different types of blogs?
- What movies, shows, or documentaries feature your industry?
- Use questions on forums like Quora or Reddit as blog posts
- What are your favorite blog plugins?
- Write a detailed review of a recent podcast episode
- Highlight your most popular posts
Practical ideas for blog posts
- Tips for choosing the right domain name for your blog
- Setting up your first WordPress blog
- How to customize the appearance of your WordPress blog
- Six Must-Have WordPress Plugins for Bloggers
- Five tips for writing better content for your blog
- Using Images in Your Blog Posts to Improve Engagement
- Tools and Resources for Writers: 19 Sites Every Writer Should Know About
- 30 Places to Find Free Images for Commercial Use
- Lessons learned from your clients over the years
- The importance of disconnecting from social networks
- What excites you about your niche or industry?
- Explain new industry trends
- Debunk myths with facts
- Publish a case study
- Combine your best blog posts into one free eBook
- Recommend the best blogs to follow
- Answer frequently asked questions about your business, products or blog
- Talk about recent data insights in your industry
- Create a Beginner’s Guide
- Create a checklist
- Best ________ (fill in the blank) tutorials
Controversial Blog Post Ideas
- The pros and cons of abortion
- The pros and cons of gun control
- The pros and cons of the death penalty
- The pros and cons of same-sex marriage
- The pros and cons of vegetarianism/veganism
- The pros and cons of legalizing marijuana
- The pros and cons of school uniforms
- The pros and cons of capital punishment
- The pros and cons of genetic engineering
- The pros and cons of zoos
Educational Blog Post Ideas
- Top 10 Education Blog Posts of All Time
- The pros and cons of homeschooling
- Pros and cons of charter schools
- How to choose the right school for your child
- Top 5 EdTech Tools for Teachers
- How to use technology in the classroom to enhance learning
- 20 ways to use technology in the classroom that will improve student learning
- How to create engaging online lessons that keep students motivated
- Top 5 Tools for Flipped Learning
- How to turn your classroom around for maximum engagement in learning
- 20 Flipped Classroom Activity Ideas That Will Keep Students Engaged
- How to use technology in the classroom to promote active learning
- The 5 best tools for gamified learning
- How to create a gamified classroom that enhances student engagement and learning
- 20 ideas for gamified classroom activities that will keep students motivated
- Top 5 Tools for Creating Engaging E-Learning Courses
- How to create eLearning courses that are attractive and easy to use
- 10 Tips for Creating Engaging E-Learning Courses
- Top 5 Tools for Collaborative Online Learning
- How to use technology to promote collaborative learning in the classroom
Lifestyle Blog Post Ideas
- What books are on your shelf?
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- How to live life more simply
- What is your makeup routine?
- What is your exercise routine?
- Tips for a less stressful life
- Got a music playlist you can share?
- What things can’t you live with?
- Read the news headlines
- Look at the titles of Youtube videos