There is a lot of talk these days about the benefits of working from home. However, not everyone is interested in combining the comforts of home with their work space. If you’re looking for a career or even a side hustle that will take you away from home and back into the hustle and bustle of the world, look no further than the opportunity to drive for amazon flex.
If you like working from home, check out how to make money from home through Amazon jobs online.
What is the Amazon Flex program?
I’m glad you asked. Amazon Flex is a delivery service where Flex drivers use their vehicles to deliver Amazon packages. Drivers are considered independent contractors (not employees) and pick up shifts on their own schedule. Drivers use the Amazon Flex app and choose the delivery blocks available in their area. Each offer through the app details the potential earnings from the available blocks. Amazon Flex pay for most delivery partners is between $18 and $25 per hour.
Getting started with Amazon Flex
To become an Amazon Flex driver, you need to download the app, set up your account, and search for deliveries near you. You will then proceed to the designated pickup location to pick up the packages. The app is your guide, helping you navigate to each destination, deliver packages, and move on to the next stop.
Much like gig-economy food delivery apps like Uber Eats, DoorDash, and Instacart, you get paid once deliveries are completed. Amazon Flex pays you via direct deposit on the day of the week you choose, and you can track your payments in the Earnings section of the app. It is an easy way to earn extra money.
When it comes to onboarding, everything is completed in the app and takes less than an hour. Once complete, it could be approved to begin deliveries in less than a week. They require a driver’s license, social security number, bank details and details about your car insurance or car insurance policy. Amazon performs a background check with a response time of two to five business days.
The criteria for getting a side gig with Amazon Flex:
- you have to live in a city where Amazon Flex is available.
- You must be 21 years or older.
- You must have a valid driver’s license.
- You must have your own vehicle, and it must be a medium or large size. (Usually a mid-size 4-door or larger sedan. Think SUV, pickup truck or drop box. This might seem quite logical as it would be very difficult to do a lot of deliveries on a motorcycle or scooter. Unfortunately, I can’t not incorporate my mental image of driving balancing packages while riding a Vespa.)
- You must have an iPhone or Android smartphone.
- That’s all!
What kind of deliveries will you deliver?
As an Amazon Flex delivery driver, you will deliver Amazon orders. Specifically:
- amazon.com – Pick up packages from an Amazon delivery station and deliver them to customers. Delivery blocks are around three to six hours.
- Amazon Prime Now and Amazon Fresh: Pick up groceries and household items at an Amazon delivery station and deliver them to customers. Delivery blocks are two to four hours.
- Store Orders: You pick up orders from local stores and deliver them to customers. The blocks are from two to four hours.
- Instant Deals – These are deliveries close to your home location. Blocks are generally 15-45 minutes.
By leaving deliveries, you will deliver them to the customers’ places of residence. Common drop-off locations include the front or back door,
Amazon Flexible Rewards
Amazon Flex Rewards is a driver appreciation program. With Amazon Flex Rewards, you can earn cash back with your Amazon Flex Debit Card, enjoy preferred programming, and access thousands of discounts, as well as tools to navigate things like insurance and taxes.
Delivery drivers earn points by completing blocks and making deliveries. Rewards include cash back on Amazon Flex debit card, preferred programming, discounts, etc. There are also different levels of rewards that offer bigger discounts.
Amazon Flex workers can use the Stride app to access their discounts.
A few things to keep in mind:
- Thinking of bringing a furry companion along to keep you company while you deliver? Pets, with the exception of service animals, must not have any interaction with customers and may not accompany you while delivering.
- You can have a passenger, but there are rules. For example, passengers may not exit their vehicle at amazon.com stations Passengers are not allowed to drive the vehicle while delivering.
- You don’t have a uniform. You may want to wear a reflective vest, which can be picked up at a drop off station. You’ll also want to make sure you have a phone charger. Amazon he also suggests bringing flashlights, water and snacks, a rain poncho, gloves, and a cart or wagon.
- Amazon Flex, just like Lyft or Uber drivers, needs to keep track of your spending since you’re an independent contractor.
Does Amazon flex tax?
Accepting jobs through Amazon Flex means that you are working as an independent contractor, that is, your own business. Amazon does not charge taxes, but the good news is that you will be able to write off some of your vehicle expenses.
Do Amazon Flex drivers get tips?
Amazon customers can tip their Flex driver and 100% of the tip will go to the driver.
See also: Other opportunities like Amazon Flex?
Is Amazon Flex worth it?
Amazon Flex is worth working with if you want a flexible side job that pays around $20 an hour on average, but you also have to factor in gas prices, since Amazon doesn’t reimburse you for driving costs.
So it’s a better side job if your vehicle is fuel efficient and you’d rather deliver packages than deliver groceries or be a rideshare driver.
Can you make Amazon Flex a full time job? That depends on how many other Flex controllers there are in your area. While there are no limits to the number of Amazon Flex blocks you can take, as more people find out, Amazon Flex blocks become more competitive and harder to obtain. This results in less consistent income.
It can be an easy way to earn some extra money quickly, with a minimum of hassle.
The bottom line is that Amazon Flex pays more than minimum wage on average and doesn’t require prior experience, a degree, or any particular skills.